High-Protein, Low-Carb Cauliflower Crab Cakes Recipe
by UP Fitness, February 8, 2017
Crab is a delicious high protein meat that features in these delicious cauliflower-crab cakes.
They are low carb friendly thanks to the use of cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes, but they still pack a lot of flavour thanks to the fresh herbs.
You could serve these as an impressive starter or you could make a batch and freeze them for up to one month (so long as your crab meat is fresh and hasn’t been previously frozen.)
- 400g white crab meat
- 200g steamed cauliflower ‘rice’
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 spring onion
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 10g fresh coriander
- 50g coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 30g Greek yoghurt (0% fat)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Squeeze any moisture from the steamed cauliflower rice, using a thin cloth or by patting with a kitchen towel.
- Combine the crab, cauliflower and Greek yoghurt in a mixing bowl. Mix well to combine and season.
- Add the capers, coriander, chilli, paprika and lime juice, and stir well.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the mix. Stir well.
- Add the coconut flour to bind, and bring together in the bowl.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Roll 2 tbsp of the mix in your hands and compress into a patty.
- Fry the patties in the pan and brown on both sides. Push down on the patties with a spatula to release any excess moisture.
- Season well and serve with a side salad.
Top Tip: These crab cakes work really well with a spiced Greek yoghurt dip or mashed avocado. Try blending 50g of Greek yoghurt with a quarter of a fresh red chilli, one garlic clove, 5g of fresh coriander, 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice and a quarter of an avocado. Macros: Cals: 92 Carbs: 6.6g Fat: 5.3g Protein: 6g
Serves 2, per serving:
Calories: 325 Carbs: 13.5g Fat: 8.8g Protein: 47.9g
If you want a training and nutrition plan tailored to your exact needs to get in the best shape of your life, see what Ultimate Performance can do by simply enquiring below…
- Bodybuilding 143
- Training 143
- Diet 90
- Education 18
- Fat Loss 61
- Losing Fat 61
- Food & Nutrition 154
- Health & Lifestyle 204
- News & Research 7
- News 7
- Personal Trainer 25
- Real Results 183
- Seasonal 23
- Working Out 66