Healthy, Homemade and Sugar-Free Tomato Ketchup Recipe
Ketchup is a staple condiment in many households but unfortunately, it’s not a great staple to be adding to the side of your plate, as it contains a lot of sugar.
I’ve created a healthier alternative using only natural ingredients and the sweetness from a small amount of honey which is much better for you than refined sugar. If you are looking for a vegan alternative you could substitute honey for pure maple syrup.
The recipe is seriously easy to create, taking no longer than 15 minutes to make a batch that will last for a week in the fridge. This recipe makes 15 tablespoon servings of ketchup.
(per 1tbsp Serving)
Calories: 26 Carbs: 5.7g Fat: 0.3g Protein: 0.6g
- 230g tomato passata (with added garlic and onion if possible)
- 120g tomato puree
- 70ml of cider vinegar
- 50g of honey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 60ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then quickly reduce it down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season.
- Once the ketchup reaches your desired consistency, remove from the heat and decant into a jar.
- Allow to cool and then cover and refrigerate.