The Ultimate Post-Workout Chocolate Orange Energy Balls
by UP Fitness December 16, 2016
These delicious energy balls are antioxidant-rich and high in fibre, satisfying your sweet tooth while making a great post-workout snack.
This recipe will take less than five minutes to prepare and then your energy balls can be stored in the fridge or freezer for an easy, on-the-go snack. You can make so many different varieties of these balls, but chocolate orange is my personal favourite.
Dates are very high in fibre, so despite the fact that they are high in natural sugars, the fibre helps to balance out your blood sugar levels.
The orange juice adds a little boost of vitamin C and works really well with the raw cacao, but if you're not a fan of orange you can leave this out and replace with lime juice, half a shot of espresso or even a drop of coconut milk.
You could also add a scoop of whey protein powder to the recipe, at the second stage of the method, to increase the protein content in your energy balls.
(Makes 12 balls)
Calories: 181 Carbs: 18g Protein: 5g Fat: 9.9g
With 1.5 scoops of Chocolate Whey Protein added:
Calories: 195 Carbs: 18.7g Protein: 7.5g Fat: 10g
- 250g dates
- 125g cashews
- 100g ground almonds
- 30g cacao
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- First of all, soak your dates in warm water for 20 minutes so that they are soft. Drain before using.
- Blitz up your cashews, almonds and 25g of the raw cacao in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Next, add the soaked dates, orange juice and zest.
- Blitz again until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Scrape out the mixture with a spatula and place in a bowl.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and roll it in the palms of your hands into golf ball shapes.
- Roll the energy balls in the remaining raw cacao powder so that they resemble truffles.
- Store in the fridge for four days or in the freezer for a month.
If you want help creating a nutrition plan that will get you incredible results, speak to us about one of our Personal Training programmes
- Be a Personal Trainer 25
- Bodybuilding 135
- Training 135
- Diet 76
- Education 18
- Fat Loss 58
- Losing Fat 58
- Food & Nutrition 150
- Health & Lifestyle 180
- News & Research 8
- News 8
- Real Results 185
- Working Out 63