Seriously Easy Vietnamese-Style Beef Pho
by UP Fitness January 25, 2017
A pho is a delicious broth served with a selection of fragrant garnishes such as fresh herbs, chilli and lime; allowing each person to create a taste to suit their personal palate.
Fresh coriander, Thai basil and mint often garnish a pho, along with a wedge of fresh lime, spring onions or chillies. You can also add fish sauce, hot sauce or soy and the result is an individual blend of strong, aromatic flavours from your broth.
The broth can be served with rice noodles and meat; this recipe calls for slithers of beef steak and dried rice noodles, that are medium thickness.
- 150ml Beef Bone Broth
- 120g sirloin steak
- 5 chestnut mushrooms
- 50g medium dried rice noodles
- 50g bean sprouts
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 red chilli pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- Hot sauce (to serve)
- In a pan, dry roast the cinnamon stick, coriander seeds and ginger.
- Add the garlic and soy sauce and pour over the beef broth.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cooking for 15 minutes.
- Strain out the dried spices and place the broth back into a pan.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook for two minutes.
- Add the noodles and cook for a further two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Finely slice the steak into very thin strips and add to the broth. Add the bean sprouts too.
- Leave the broth on the hob for a further one minute, to cook the beef, and then pour into a bowl.
- Top the broth, with fresh coriander, sliced red chilli, spring onion and lime. To serve a pho, you would offer these garnishes on the side.
- Finish with hot sauce and fresh lime.
Calories: 478 Carbs: 43g Fat: 14g Protein: 45g
Find out how UP’s expert training and nutrition plans can help you achieve your best-ever body, simply by enquiring below…
- Be a Personal Trainer 25
- Bodybuilding 136
- Training 136
- Diet 84
- Education 18
- Fat Loss 58
- Losing Fat 58
- Food & Nutrition 151
- Health & Lifestyle 189
- News & Research 8
- News 8
- Real Results 184
- Seasonal 23
- Working Out 65