Low Fat, High Protein Venison Chilli Recipe
by UP Fitness July 3, 2017
This venison chilli is just as simple to make as a common beef chilli but uses lean and protein-rich venison mince instead, offering up a depth of flavour.
The addition of instant coffee to the dish makes for a rich and intense taste sensation that marries perfectly with the spicy fresh red chilli and smoky paprika.
You can make this chilli in 20 minutes, although we would recommend preparing this dish in a slow cooker and leaving to cook for 5-6 hours for the wonderful flavours to really develop.
If making a batch in the slow cooker, try doubling the recipe and storing left-over portions in a Tupperware in the fridge or freezer.
- 250g venison mince
- 200g tomato passata
- 2 round tomatoes, quartered
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded
- 240g drained kidney beans
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Bunch fresh parsley
- 15g feta
- 50g Greek yoghurt, to garnish
- 150g cauliflower rice
- In a pan, sautee the diced onion, garlic, chilli, quartered tomatoes, smoked paprika and cumin for 5 minutes.
- Add the venison mince and brown in the pan. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Next, add the instant coffee and combine well.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, tomato passata, and chipotle chilli and allow the pan to simmer for 10 minutes.
- As the sauce reduces and thickens, add the kidney beans and cook out for a further 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, finely chop the parsley and mix into the cauliflower rice with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Heat the cauliflower rice in a pan for 2-3 minutes, or microwave (covered) for 3 minutes.
- Serve the rice with the venison chilli and sprinkle over the feta cheese.
- Top with Greek yoghurt and a little fresh chilli and serve with a side of greens of your choice.
Macros: (per serve)
Calories: 375 Carbs: 26g Fat: 11g Protein: 43g
- Be a Personal Trainer 25
- Bodybuilding 135
- Training 135
- Diet 78
- Education 18
- Fat Loss 58
- Losing Fat 58
- Food & Nutrition 151
- Health & Lifestyle 179
- News & Research 8
- News 8
- Real Results 184
- Seasonal 23
- Working Out 63