Healthy Coconut Chicken Curry and Cauliflower Rice
by UP Fitness December 16, 2016
A good chicken curry is warming, spicy, comforting and delicious and this healthy interpretation is no different.
Full of Indian flavours, but without the heavy cream or butter, this recipe pairs perfectly with a portion of cauliflower rice, which I have given a ‘pilau’ makeover in the method below.
Calories: 463, Carbs: 11.2g, Fat: 28g, Protein: 41.5g
Reduced Fat Curry:
Calories: 340, Carbs: 9.0g, Fat: 15.9g, Protein: 40.2g
Calories: 34.5, Carbs: 3g, Fat: 0.9g, Protein: 3.6g
For the Curry
- 1 free-range chicken breast
- 50g baby corn
- 50g mangetout
- ¼ white onion
- 3 tbsp coconut milk (reduced fat*)
- 1 tsp ground almonds
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
For the Rice
- 100g cauliflower
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of salt
For the Curry
- Marinade the chicken in the curry blend
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes until cooked
- Pull the chicken apart with two forks
- Dice the onion and sautee in a pan with the coconut oil and spices. Don’t let the spices burn.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the baby corn and mange tout
- Pour over the coconut milk
- Reduce the heat and simmer
- Season and top with ground almonds and fresh coriander
*Using reduced fat coconut milk is optional, so I have provided the macros for both full fat and reduced fat, so that you can choose which one best suits your diet. Often low fat means high sugar or an increase in artificial flavours to improve the taste, however, this isn't the case with coconut milk as the only real difference is the reduction in fat and calories. It tastes just as 'coconutty' but isn't so thick.
For the Pilau Cauli Rice
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it has the consistency of couscous or rice.
- Combine the spices with the coconut oil and mix well.
- Pour over the cauliflower rice and stir to coat.
- Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes or saute in a pan.
If you're really looking to take your health, nutrition and training to the next level in 2017, why not speak to us about our UP Personal Training plans.
If you don’t live near a UP gym you can still get in the best shape of your life with one of our UP Online Personal Training plans from anywhere in the world.
- Be a Personal Trainer 25
- Bodybuilding 135
- Training 135
- Diet 78
- Education 18
- Fat Loss 58
- Losing Fat 58
- Food & Nutrition 151
- Health & Lifestyle 179
- News & Research 8
- News 8
- Real Results 184
- Seasonal 23
- Working Out 63