A Healthy Alternative to Banana Bread
by UP Fitness December 14, 2016
Behold a healthier banana bread recipe that is light, moist and fruity. It’s seriously easy to make and seriously tasty too.
This recipe is gluten free and uses peanut flour, which marries perfectly with the flavours of banana and blueberries. Peanut flour can be found in most supermarkets and health stores, it is naturally very high in protein and lower in fat than peanut butter, making it a great substitution for white flour when baking any cakes, as it provides a much better nutritional profile.
This recipe uses coconut oil as opposed to butter and uses only 1 tablespoon of honey per loaf, as opposed to regular caster sugar. Despite this, the bananas add a natural sweetness making this great for an occasional sweet treat.
The macros per slice for this recipe are as follows. (10 slices)
- Calories: 179 Carbs: 19g Fat: 8.8g Protein: 5.9g
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 4 free range eggs
- 75g organic blueberries
- 50g coconut flour
- 25g peanut flour
- 50g coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Juice of a quarter lemon
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 25g chia seeds
- In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mash up the ripe bananas and add the melted coconut oil, honey and eggs.
- Add the vinegar and lemon juice to the wet ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix together with a spoon – don’t over mix.
- Once the mixture is smooth, pour into a lined baking tin and bake for 55 minutes at 170 degrees celsius.
- Once cooked, remove from tin and cool on a baking tray.
Optional: Pour 10g melted coconut oil mixed with 10g honey over the banana loaf while warm.
Why not try this with a cup of green tea or spread a spoonful of natural peanut butter over a slice while warm.
If you want help creating a nutrition plan that will get you incredible results, speak to us about one of our Personal Training programmes.
- Be a Personal Trainer 25
- Bodybuilding 135
- Training 135
- Diet 78
- Education 18
- Fat Loss 58
- Losing Fat 58
- Food & Nutrition 151
- Health & Lifestyle 179
- News & Research 8
- News 8
- Real Results 184
- Seasonal 23
- Working Out 63