Low Carb Italian Carbonara with Butternut Spaghetti
This delectable dish is a lighter take on the classic carbonara that will keep you on track with your diet and satisfy your taste buds.
A traditional Italian carbonara doesn't use heavy cream in the recipe, with the sauce made from a combination of egg yolk and parmesan. British influence has led us to a far creamier carbonara sauce and this recipe draws from both.
We've created a lighter recipe using a little Greek yoghurt for that creamy taste and replacing high-carb tagliatelle for spiralised butternut squash, to reduce the carb content.
This recipe has 47g of protein per portion and you could even add sliced chicken breast to further boost your macros.
- 75g fat-trimmed bacon
- 1 egg
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 100g butternut squash, spiralised
- 30g red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10g parsley, chopped
- 10g parmesan
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
(If you have an intolerance to the allium family, simply leave out the garlic and onion and instead use 20g of fresh parsley and 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice, to add some depth of flavour.)
- Add the finely chopped garlic and red onion slices to a hot pan, and stir fry together with the smoked paprika.
- Add the chopped bacon and mushrooms and cook together.
- Next, add the butternut spaghetti and reduce the heat.
- Crack the egg into the pan and stir around constantly, to coat the contents of the pan.
- Keep stirring for one minute then add the Greek yoghurt and mix together.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper and grate over the parmesan.
Calories: 469 Carbs: 14.7g Protein: 47.2g Fat: 24.6g